The newest version of WordPress is here. Named Evans after the jazz pianist and composer William John “Bill” Evans, it was released for publin on June 8, 2017.
Highlights from WP 4.8
- Image Widget
- Adding an image to a widget is now a simple task that is achievable for any WordPress user without needing to know code. Simply insert your image right within the widget settings. Try adding something like a headshot or a photo of your latest weekend adventure — and see it appear automatically.
- Video Widget
- A welcome video is a great way to humanize the branding of your website. You can now add any video from the Media Library to a sidebar on your site with the new Video widget. Use this to showcase a welcome video to introduce visitors to your site or promote your latest and greatest content.
- Audio Widget
- Are you a podcaster, musician, or avid blogger? Adding a widget with your audio file has never been easier. Upload your audio file to the Media Library, go to the widget settings, select your file, and you’re ready for listeners. This would be a easy way to add a more personal welcome message, too!
- Rich Text Widget
- This feature deserves a parade down the center of town! Rich-text editing capabilities are now native for Text widgets. Add a widget anywhere and format away. Create lists, add emphasis, and quickly and easily insert links. Have fun with your newfound formatting powers, and watch what you can accomplish in a short amount of time.
Changelog WP 4.8
- For Version 4.8, the database version (db_version in wp_options) changed to 38590, and the Trac revision was 40888.
More Accessible Admin Panel Headings
New CSS rules mean extraneous content (like “Add New” links) no longer need to be included in admin-area headings. These panel headings improve the experience for people using assistive technologies.
Removal of Core Support for WMV and WMA Files
As fewer and fewer browsers support Silverlight, file formats which require the presence of the Silverlight plugin are being removed from core support. Files will still display as a download link, but will no longer be embedded automatically.
New capabilities have been introduced to 4.8 with an eye towards removing calls to
is_super_admin(). Additionally, new hooks and tweaks to more granularly control site and user counts per network have been added.
Media Widgets API
The introduction of a new base media widget REST API schema to 4.8 opens up possibilities for even more media widgets (like galleries or playlists) in the future. The three new media widgets are powered by a shared base class that covers most of the interactions with the media modal. That class also makes it easier to create new media widgets and paves the way for more to come.
Customizer Width Variable
Rejoice! New responsive breakpoints have been added to the customizer sidebar to make it wider on high-resolution screens. Customizer controls should use percentage-based widths instead of pixels
Another micro update for WooCommerce has come out today and it does have some important changes:
- Fixed an issue with variation tax-classes when set to ‘parent’. This made taxes apply on top of the tax inclusive price in certain setups.
- Escaped attribute translations in the
cart.php template and bumped the template version to match.
- Corrected the display of refund dates on the order screen.
- Fixed the grouped product visibility check in the grouped.php template and bumped the template version to match.
- Fixed the sale badge display for grouped products.
- Added the
itemReviewed structured data for product reviews to make it validate.
- Made the
get_attribute method work on variation objects.
- Turned off the deferred email sending by default which was added in 3.0. Whilst it does improve performance, there were compatibility problems on some servers. It can be enabled with a filter if desired.
- Added backtrace information to the deprecation messages to help find problem plugins.
So, you can upgrade the plugin on your website or you can download it from wordpress.
This new version of Jetpack bring some new improvements, specially on the PHP incompatibilities such as:
- Fixed a bug that prevented activating/deactivating of some features in PHP versions below 5.4.
- Removed an unused function that was also incompatible with PHP versions below 5.4.
- Fixed a bug that was causing a blank Jetpack admin area.
You can upgrade to the newest version in your website updates section or you can upload it on the server after you download it from here.
Contact Form 7 comes up with a new version, with some new corrections and improvements:
- Added REST API custom endpoints to manipulate contact form data.
- Config Validator: Added test items for field names and attachment file paths.
- Added custom DOM events:
- New action hook:
size option to
select* form-tag types.
- Made it possible to use the 3rd parameter of
wpcf7_add_form_tag() to specify “features” of the form-tag type.
So, a new version of the popular plugin Yoast SEO, used by hundred of thousands of people around the world. So what’s new in the 4.5.0 version, launched on March 21, 2017 ?
- Adds a message about the PHP version for WordPress installations that run on PHP 5.2. The warning also has pointers on how to address this situation.
- Adds a check for the breadcrumbs-home option to prevent a blank entry being added to the crumbs array
Throws a warning in the admin for the RS Head Cleaner plugin, because the plugin cloaks.
Improves copy about Yoast SEO Premium benefits.
Adds link to our knowledge base article about connecting your website to Google Search Console.
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!
At the end of february 2017, we have an update for Yoast SEO, with some small improvements and bug fixes such as:
- Fixes a bug where a
span tag wasn’t closed correctly.
- Fixes a bug where there were deprecation warnings shown when an existing author was being updated.
- Fixes a bug where the user received an ‘insufficient rights’ error when the advanced settings are disabled, but an advanced page is visited.
Moves the options to disable keyword and content analysis from the general tab to the features tab.
Improves styling of tables so they are viewable on mobile.
Changes the links into shortlinks for the extensions page, helpcenter, facebook settings and premium popup.